SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Friday, September 6, 2013

Chokecherry Pickin

Saturday afternoon started off with Dave deciding last minute to go up to some canyon and pick chokecherries to make syrup. Hailey and Valerie were eager volunteers!



They got a big bowl and sack full and started heading home when they got a flat tire.  Dave got out of the Tahoe and started changing the tire.  But as he was doing so he heard hissing from another tire.  They ended up with two flat tires.  Luckily, he had service for a minute and called me and told me to find him a spare.  Then the phone went dead.  I had no idea where and what kind of spare to find.  I also had no idea where they were.  First person I call in situations like this are Billy and Melanie.  Billy helped me find a spare tire that would fit from his nephew. By then Dave was able to call back and give me some vague instructions on where to go before losing service again.  So it had already been 45 minutes and I still had at least a 45 minute drive.  I was getting worried because it was going to get dark soon and I was not sure where to go and my GPS wasn't working.  I drove for what seemed like forever and then came to a place in the road where I could turn 3 different places.  I didn't remember this in the directions.  There was only supposed to be one turn.  I was in the middle of no where! I sat there then turned and said a little prayer.  Immediately in the middle of no where a pick up drove by that I was able to flag down and ask directions.  I had gone to far.  I turned back with a new set of directions.  Come to find out the road to turn on had a different name with a smaller name ( the one I was looking for) written below it but near impossible to see especially now that it was dusk.  I was able to finally find them and was so relieved!  They were all thirsty which I had no water to give them and a little hungry but learned not to eat the chokecherries plain or you will really choke!

Dave changed both tires and we headed home.  On the way home, I was able to have a great talk with the girls about prayer and relate it to making a phone call for help.  Valerie was even able to give a talk the next day in church and shared this experience.  



The actual syrup making!  Tastes delicious and is worth Gold!  We ended up having to buy 2 brand new tires because the tears were too big!  Oh well, another memory making moment!

No comments: