SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Sunday, February 22, 2009

PANIC!

Steph and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Thursday started out as it usually does, too early. My internet had been down for a few days. I thought it was my modem but soon learned I had been cut off! Instead of going to the gym, (I was all dressed) I called Qwest. TWO hours later plus a million transfers I finally hung up the phone with my bill knocked down from 300 dollars a month to what it should be and a promise my internet would be back up and running.

This experience already caused me to be near tears but then I got a phone call from work. I had been having a problem with my schedule and now I heard it was final that if I was going to continue working I would have to work 12 hour shifts. For the past 8 years, I have been lucky enough to split shifts making it possible for me to still carry out all my motherly responsibilities in a day and go to work 1 day a week.

I told Dave when he came home for lunch it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. He said, "what? it is only noon!"

Well, things did get worse, way WORSE!

I was watching my friends 2 kids in my home and I LOST the 3 year old. I still have anxiety thinking about it and could start crying at any moment. I was changing my clothes (since I still had my work out clothes on even though I was unable to go work out) and I heard the door open and close. I threw on some pj bottoms and ran out the door looking for the boy. He must have ran one way and I another because I couldn't find him. In fact, I never did find him, the POLICE did! We had the whole neighborhood searching. He was lost for 20 minutes. Those were the longest 20 minutes of my life! Talk about hysterical! That is the worst feeling ever! He was found on a busy road running and happy as ever. I spent the rest of the day crying and thankful. The 2 good things I can take out of this experience was 1)He was found and safe and 2)I do know that Heavenly Father answers my prayers.

A couple hours later, one of my daughter's accidently locked Valerie in the car while it was running. After borrowing a neighbors car to go track down Dave and get keys, I was able to get her out safe. In fact, she didn't even know because she took a nap. I decided I needed to go home and go to bed so this day would end!

And that is my story of the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! (I guess it was actually good though because nobody got hurt)

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Steph, that was a horrible day. I am glad everyone is ok, talk about stressful. I have lost my own kids for five minutes or so in a crowded place and had someone else find them, but it would such a different feeling knowing it was somebody else's child. Yikes. I am glad everything turned out, and trust me, it could happen to anyone.

Madison locked herself in the car with the keys when I was at the mall once, she was 18months old. I was hysterically trying to get her to unlock the door, but she couldn't. We were in the parking garage in the mall, luckily because it was really hot and she would have roasted if we were just in the flat lot. She was fine until she got her leg stuck between the two front seats and couldn't get it out. I was going crazy, she was hurt and screaming for me and I couldn't even get in to help her. Todd was coming from work, but it's like 20 minutes away. I was just about to break open the window when he showed up...luckily eveyone was fine. Yep, I know about those days, not fun!

Sorry about work, what do you think you are going to do? 12 hour shifts are a whole different ball game. I hate them. I am hoping TOdd's job works out so I don't have to go back to working them, but I am thankful I have something so great to fall back on.

SO here's to a better week. You are a great mom and I know that even with that terrible day you were amazing to all you came in contact with. Love you!

Renee said...

Stephanie, that was a terrible, horrible, no good day. (Do I ever remember Alexander and his day; we read that book so many times when you were young.)I can't believe you didn't tell me about everything last night when we spoke on the phone. You just mentioned the computer. That's enough to give anyone a migrane in itself. But the lost child, and Valerie locked in the car, etc. etc. I shed a few tears reading your post to dad. He said, ¨"You should print that out and share it with others who think they are having a hard time." (If I had my journals here, I would look up a few entries I had recorded when I had some of those ¨terrible, horrible, no good days.¨) I am sorry about your work situation also. You have been blessed these past 8 years to have been able to experience both mom and work responsibilities. Know you are in our thoughts and prayers. You are a wonderful mother, friend, and valued employer. These experiences keep us humble and we recognize the importance of keeping close to our Heavenly Father so we can be directed by the Holy Ghost. Take care. We love you!! Don't give up and remember those words we have grown accustomed to since last conference--Come What May and Love It, and Find Joy in the Journey. I know you will be blessed to do both. Love, Mom

Erin said...

Seriously, can more stress be crammed into one day? I felt sick about the lost child. I HATE that feeling when you can't spot your child for a few seconds. It is such a sinking feeling in your heart. I am glad he was safe and happy. Imagining him running down the streets reminded me all to much of Gavin. As for Qwest, Cam could chat with your for hours on the pain of dealing with them. I don't know why but we end up calling them on a monthly basis. I'm also sorry to hear about work. Keep us posted on what you decide. I can't believe they won't let you split shifts, especially if you have someone to split with. I've locked Gavin in the car so you are in good company. Cam wouldn't answer his phone, the locksmiths were all out on jobs, so the giant firetruck and firemen came to save the day. I was mortified and I did try breaking the window with my shoe...it was a blessing that I was unsuccessful. HOpe you have a much better week. Take care!

steph said...

Hey guys why have I not heard about these lock in's before? A firetruck, attempting to break a window? This is important news!! Here is to a better week!

Jennifer said...

My experience was pre-blog, but you would have for sure read about it if I had one then. It's a good thing we have the gospel in moments and days like those, can you imagine the feeling of panic if you didn't have the comforter? YIPES! We do need to plan, call me later, I know Todd talked to Cameron last night and we will be taking separate flights, but want to arrive around the same time. Yeah, after all the stress in our lives right now a little dose of PV is going to be perfect!

Cindy said...

Wow. That stressed me out just reading that! I'm so glad you found the little boy. So scary!