SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Monday, January 17, 2011

Life can change in a hurry

We had a wonderful Christmas and even got to go visit the Shirleys in Utah after Christmas. On Tuesday night, December 28th we drove home from Utah to a freezing cold house. Our gas fireplace got turned on and Dave and I started to unload the car. Minutes later I heard Cade screaming. He had heard Ty's hands sizzling on the glass of the fireplace. Ty must have been trying to pull himself to stand up as he was learning to walk. At first Ty didn't even cry - I'm sure he was in shock, and then he didn't stop crying for hours. We put his hands in cold water and headed to the ER. Pictures of his hands were sent to UoU burn center and Dr. Cochran responded and wanted to see us. Dave was able to give Ty a blessing as nothing seemed to help relieve his pain. We went home to pray with and comfort our kids and then headed to the burn center at 1230 am. How grateful I am for good friends and family that I can call at any time and know they will help us in any way. I had friends taking care of things at home, my parents coming from Boise to help out, and we were just able to show up at Rad and Wendys house looking for a place to sleep after being up all night.

On the way to the Utah hospital we hit a big snow storm. It took us 5 hours to get to UoU hospital instead of 3. Our 4 wheel drive and the front end of our tahoe went out and I was unsure if we would get there without breaking down. I know our Heavenly Father answered our prayers and was watching over us. We made it there and were able to leave our car there for a week to get fixed while we borrowed Kristen's car. Thanks so much.

After seeing the Dr. we were certain the right hand would need skin grafts but unsure about the left. They were really fast at cutting away skin, scrubbing, and dressing Ty's hands. Palms were 3rd degree burns and fingers 2nd. It was and is very hard to hold my little boy while they are working on him and he is in such pain. I feel helpless but I am sure grateful for modern medicine and miracles. His hands will heal but we soon learned it would be a long road.

New Years Eve gave us a scare because of such high fevers Ty was experiencing. After another trip to the ER, we found out his hands were not infected (my worry) but he had an ear infection.

We came home from Utah to find our kids all taken care of, my house cleaned and stalked with groceries, new toys for Ty to play with that wouldn't require him to use his fingers, and warm dinner waiting for us at the Poulsens. Thanks Marilyn and Mel! I couldn't have done it with out you guys.
Looks like Dave is training him to be a UFC fighter!

His palms and each finger were wrapped with special foam and then had netting over them. Ty soon learned how to bite them off. We had to put socks over his hands and pin it to his shirt.

Pre Op with Dad

Many trips to Utah have been made in the last few weeks. 14 days later after his initial burn Ty had surgery on both palms. Skin was taken from his groin on both sides and placed on his palms. He now has big CLUBS for hands he gets to learn to deal with for a while.

After surgery. We had to wait longer than normal because his oxygen saturation wouldn't stay up without oxygen and he got a rash. But soon we were on our way back to Pleasant Grove to Grandma and Grandpa Shirleys. What a blessing it is that we have family that live close to the UoU hospital. We have had much help with our kids and everything else from all our Utah family!

Little drugged out still



Ty is such a good spirited little boy - all 24 pounds of him! He does hurt, get angry and frustrated because he can't use his hands but for the most part he is just a lovable little guy who is learning to adapt. He has figured out the army crawl but doesn't like to do that much. He is walking everywhere now which is good but we just have to watch him super close so he doesn't fall too much and disrupt the grafts. I don't know what I am supposed to learn from all this but I do know the bond between Ty and Cade has grown and also between Ty and his Dad. Ty gives the best hugs and kisses ever. He is so gentle and soft.


I have so much to be grateful for and so many people to thank. So many have prayed, fasted, and put our names in the temple. I have felt your prayers and they have given me strength. I have had many encouraging words, warm meals, rides for my kids, people watching my kids, new toys and movies, and it goes on and on. Thank you! Thank you everyone!

We will be making 2 trips this week to the burn center to see how the grafts are doing. I do know he will have to be in braces and then compression gloves for 1 to 1 1/2 years. Physical Therapy will be ongoing. It will be a long process for this little guy who has already been through so much but I am grateful he is doing as good as he is. The last few days he has seemed like his happy normal self!

5 comments:

J, K, E & C Hadley said...

So sorry to hear about this Stephanie and family, but know that Ty is in great care. I worked for several years with the aftercare of burn pts from the Oregon Burn Center and burn nurses, physicians and therapists are a special group of people. I wish Ty great success in healing from this and HUGS to all of you, even if it has been many years since I have seen you.

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

How awful Steph! Kids are so resilient though, and I'll bet he'll heal up amazingly well.

I'm glad you have such a great support system there!

Erin said...

We love your family and you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. He looks like he is doing so great! I'm glad you have such awesome friends. We are cheering for you all!

Marilyn said...

How would we ever get through this life without the support of our friends and family? The gratitude comes right back at ya, you are amazing! You are so strong and patient with your trials. Even if you don't feel like it, the rest of us are amazed at the grace with which you handle everyting in your life.

Sara E said...

oh my... how scary...
something similar, but not near as bad, happened to me when I was 17. I was adding wood to a wood burning stove/fireplace with socks and I slipped. I grabbed on to the door and then my face hit the top. It didn't even register to me that it was hot. Luckily I didn't need any skin grafts and my face and hand healed perfectly well.

Big hugs to a very nice recovery for your little Ty. Little kids are so resilient.