SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Monday, August 24, 2009

What an exciting day!

Not only was it the first day of school but it was Hailey's 5th birthday! Our day really started last night with some heavy 30 minute rains that ended up flooding Ashley's window well and crept into her room. We have now learned that our rain gutter really needs an extension and this problem would have never of happened. Thank goodness for neighbors willing to give a hand! Dave was in the window well scooping out buckets of water and others were digging trenches and ripping up our curbing. We were very glad Ashley caught this right from the beginning or it could have been way worse. Needless to say, Ash had to spend the night out in the family room while her room is dismantled and fans are on full speed!

Morning came fast but 1st day adrenalin got the kids up and going. By the end of the week they will be dead tired and realize their summer sleep schedule is just not going to cut it. Dave took Cade to his first day of Jr. High and I went outside to take the girls but I realized we had no car. I thought great, not only did we have a little flood but now someone stole our car. After a few minutes panic Dave pulled back in the drive way and told me he left the car at the church yesterday. I was relieved but the girls were a tad late for their first day. Hopefully we will get more on top of it by the end of the week. I need to take into account 3 kids all at different schools and 2 girls with hair that takes forever to blow dry. How will we ever fit in practicing piano and violin?

Ashley starting 4th grade

Cade 1st day of Jr. High
(7th grade)

Mikayla 2nd grade



Hailey has been counting down the sleeps until her birthday. We had a party at Storybook Park with games, crafts, piniata, and cake and ice cream bars. She really wanted a swing set until I took her to the store and she saw this doll that really pees!




Valerie is always up for a good pose!

Jemma, Mikayla, Conner, Valerie, Ashley

Riley, Hailey, Brynn, & Averie

Flip Flop Cake
Cade made the blue cake (per Hailey's request) and frosting and then I frosted it.

Hailey 5 years ago! Soooo cute!

Hailey brings such life to our family. She is probably our most dramatic one at times. She can throw fits to the point that she can't even talk to let anyone know what the problem is. I can usually copy her and she ends up laughing. She can also melt your heart with her big brown eyes. She has a way of staring people down that some find quite fascinating. She is the best big sister to Valerie and they are play buddies all day long. I am secretly glad she will be hanging out with me one more year before she starts kindergarten! I love having her around. She will be going to preschool this year and can hardly wait. Her backpack with supplies she doesn't really need has been packed for 2 weeks.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

So sweet. I love Hailey, tell her happy birthday fo rus! Hope Ashley's room is ok, you sure have had your fair share of floods in that basement. WIsh all the kids happy school days for me!

Tasha said...

I am sooo impressed by the flip flop cakes! What a great idea. Well done...:)

Laura Barrett said...

Man you've been busy! A thought came to mind when you said that you thought someone stole your car...geez hope that person has that special little tool to start it other wise they won't get far!
Little Miss Hailey, Happy Birthday. You are such a sweet girl and I have some great memories of you in Primary:)

Emily said...

Flooding is the worst! That was quite the rainstorm. Was Dave out shoveling water while the rain was still dumping?? I would have to say I have been there, done that! (My mom's house in Utah)

Renee said...

Hello and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our precious little Hailey. What an exciting birthday party with friends, a pinata, and then the flip-flop cake. Wow, I am impressed. You are such a good big and little sister. Have fun at pre-school. We love you very much.
Love Grandma and Grandpa
P.S. Steph, Hope the flooding catastrophe is behind you. What a mess. I am impressed with all of your blogging--you really have been busy!!!

Cindy said...

Glad Hailey was able to see that a peeing doll is much better than a swingset. (Ha, and much easier to assemble right!)

That flip flop cake is awesome!

The Peterson's said...

You are WonderMom, so Busy Busy! Congrats on the baby news! I know I am way late but I just found out a few weeks ago when I was in Burley. Cades gonna have a little brother! Too cute! Congrats again!

Erin said...

Happy birthday Hailey! Everyone looked so great for their first day of school too. I loved the flip flop cake.