SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Saturday, June 20, 2009

Only at Scout Camp

Cade returned home today from an overnight scout camp trip in the rain. He was very wet with tons of thistles stuck in his shoes. He didn't seem to mind the conditions or lack of sleep as he raved about what they did on the uninhabited island they canoed to and slept on. Apparently, the boys were told they had to find their own dinner without any tools. Good thing the island was covered in wild chickens. He learned how to catch them, twirl them around and break their neck, and then how to cut off their heads with sharp wood. He went on and on about how they kept moving after their heads were cut off and how some chickens even lost a few eggs. Only at scout camp! He was grateful I packed him a few snacks seems how the chickens tasted a little tough and gamey.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Cade, that was quite an experience. I don't remember any of your uncles having those kind of stories to tell after they had been to camp. I do remember Grandma Berg (my mom) taking chickens by the legs and they would wack off their heads at the neck with a hatchet on this little stump--and they too, walked around headless. Then she would pluck the feathers off by putting them in scalding water and then remove the insides. After they were washed really well, she would cook the chickens and they were always so delicious.(I think I was just about your age when I watched my mom do this. She really didn't like doing it. They raised the chickens and so we ate a lot of them.) Glad you had a fun time at camp.

Cindy said...

They lost a few eggs, huh? What a crazy experience. I can't believe they let a bunch of 13 year old boys loose with wild chickens and sharp sticks. Sounds like a recipe for some injuries. I doubt he will ever forget that campout!

Marilyn said...

That is just SICK!!! Kaden wouldn't have endured that I'm sure! He is such a picky eater he may just starve someday. Way to go Cade,what a trooper! And he enjoyed it too!