SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Steph.

Stephanie knows I don’t really like this blog thing she does. But since it is her birthday, I thought she would be surprised if I left a comment. She enjoyed the lists posted by our sister in laws where they described things about themselves. She then asked what things I thought she would say about herself. I don’t know, but I will tell you some things I love about her.

She is happy. She has some big mood swings up and down but generally she is happy. When I come home from work after dealing with people who are very serious, I sometimes open the door and see her doing crazy things like clogging and clapping with a giant smile and sparkling eyes when there is no music playing. Suddenly the world seems less serious.

She is a loyal friend. Stephanie has had some good friends in her life. She stays in contact with most of them. She assumes the best of her friends actions and will do all she can to help them. I am grateful to be one of those friends.
She is without guile. We all know she can’t lie. But it is very painful to her to be deceiving in any way. She gets visibly nervous and unsettled. Don’t ask her to be the one to lure another to a place for a surprise party.

She lifts others up. She truly wants others to succeed and be happy. She doesn’t cut others down and can’t stand to be in the middle of personal conflicts of others. She just wants everyone to be happy and have a good time. Sometimes I think if she was raised by a less structured family she might have been a cross between a high achiever and a hippy. I know that doesn’t make sense, but I can’t think of another way to describe this part of personality right now.

She is a strong person. She does not like conflict and is perfectly content letting someone else take charge most of the time. However, if the situation involves something important to her she can take control of the situation without panicking. She can also become feisty if needed (she gets feisty in sports sometimes when not needed). This surprises some people who don’t really know her that well. I am lucky to have seen several examples of this. One of the most recent is when a man had stopped breathing and his heart had stopped. Once she realized no one else quite knew what to do, I watched her calmly and politely take control and got some help from others to perform cpr. For the next several days people kept telling me how impressed they were with the way she handled herself and the situation. I know she has done this type of thing countless times at work but I enjoyed seeing it for myself. I can see my sister in law nurses doing the same thing.
She is smart. Stephanie was somewhat of a perfectionist at school. This was good for me because she had scholarships at byu which saved us money. It was frustrating when she would ask me for help in classes like physics and math, and then get a higher score on the tests. She can memorize anything and she rarely makes mental mistakes when accomplishing a task.
She has a kind heart and is a good Christian. I am thankful for her nudges and reminders when I slack on my responsibility in areas like family home evening, family scripture study, and going to the temple. She doesn’t make correct choices to appear righteous. She does good things just because of the way she is. She is sincere. She is by nature not critical or judgmental of others. I picture heaven being full of people like this.

She is a great mother. She focuses all of these talents she has on our children. I hope they grow up to be like her.

I am sure she will disagree with some of the things I have said, but she tends to look for her faults rather that her positive attributes.

I hope you have a happy birthday. I love and admire you.

Dave

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was a great post Dave. Happy Birthday Stephanie, you are one of my favorite people. I am so grateful to have married into such an amazing family, I feel like a part of it and I always have. Thanks for being such a good example and somebody I can talk easily to and look to for advice. If we lived closer together I could see myself wanted to spend much of my "girl" time with you. HOpe your day was great. LOve you lots, now come to CA!

Renee said...

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more!! What a wonderful tribute to Stephanie. I am grateful for the beautiful family you have--so glad we can all enjoy each other on earth now and then continue in Heaven.  Stephanie, we love you very much--we have found joy in our journey since you blessed our lives on that October day many years ago. May you be blessed with your heart's sincerest desires as you continue on your journey. Have a wonderful day!!

Sarah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! My dear friend Stephanie! I have not gotten on line in a long while and I felt inspired to click on your blog. I am so glad I did! What wonderful words were writted by your sweet hubby! I love you guys! It's been way too long since we've seen each other... but I'm glad to know that friendships can last forever too! :-) Everything that Dave said about you was so very true! You're an incredible person and my life was truly blessed by knowing you and growing up with you! Thank you for your good example and friendship! Love you tons!

Laura Barrett said...

What a sweet husband you have! Just wanted to tell you Happy Birthday as well, hope you had a wonderful day:)

Erin said...

What a wonderful posting! We couldn't agree more. WE hope you had a wonderful birthday. Know that it was acknowledged verbally by your brothers during the BYU game. Thanks for being such a good friend, example, and sis-in-law. We love you!

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Steph!
I want to see you clogging and clapping. Will you do that next time I visit? :-)

Marilyn said...

Amen to everything Dave said!! You are all of those things and more to the people who know and love you! You are awesome and I hope you had a great birthday. Don't feel too bad, I'm still a year older than you! Love ya Steph!

Emily said...

That was so sweet of Dave to write that post. All true. You are an amazing person. I am grateful for your friendship! I also want to see the clogging and clapping! Maybe we could do a duet?! (J/K)