SHIRLEY BUNCH
Dave, Steph, Cade, Ashley, Mikayla, Hailey, Valerie, & Ty

We may not have it all together, but togeth
er we have it all.


Monday, April 14, 2008

Why can't I?

The question of sleep-overs causes quite some contention in our home. It has been about 2 1/2 years ago that Dave and I decided that we were not going to let our kids go to sleep-overs or have sleep-overs. Buy why? why? why? are words that I hear from our kids too often. It doesn't matter how many times I tell them the answer they just don't get it. I don't think they will understand it until they are parents themselves. We do let them do late nights. Isn't that good enough? After all, it just gets too confusing to say you can sleep at this house but not at this house. How do I really know what is going on or who is really there. I know I am a little bit of a control freak but I don't think this rule is really too outrageous. Anyone else have this rule? If so do you have any good explanations for your kids????

5 comments:

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Amen Sista! I don't allow sleep overs either. When my kids ask, I just say it's not something we do. I guess they'll just have to deal with it. I just know that when I was young nothing productive or good happened at sleep overs and then I was hammered the next day anyway, so what's the point? Good luck. Lana

Elise said...

I completely agree with you on this one. I am going to have a hard time just letting my kids play at other people's houses when I am not there. Thankfully, because they are still little, this one is not a problem yet. BTW-I really don't make Evan go to time-out in the closet. Though, if he didn't stay on his chair, it would be a good option. We don't have a garage, but he definitely gets sent to the basement when he is too crazy!!

Marilyn said...

Absolutely agree, luckily we have so many of our friends whose parents feel the same way it isn't usually a big problem with the kids. The exceptions we make are only for realatives and company. Instead of asking for sleepovers now they ask how often they can have late nights. Is every night too often? ha ha

Jennifer said...

Todd and I couldn't agree more. It just isn't the same world we grew up in and you never know what can happen. I just feel like that is one thing we can do to further protect our children. I also wanted more info on how to donate to your charity!

Betsy said...

Hey, I'm coming out of "lurking" to say hi. You have such a cute family -- I don't think I've even seen you in real life since Grandma Keller's funeral. ?? Sad. Gotta love the blogging world!

Anyway, I just wanted to add that we are right there with you on the whole sleepover thing. We've heard it twice from the pulpit at church -- once from our bishop who urged ward members not to let their kids have sleepovers based on what he's "seen" and then again from a visiting speaker at Stake Conference. That's all the ammo I need. Sleepovers are honestly good for nothing. I learned every "naughty" thing I know at *Merrie Miss* sleepovers. SAD. Truly, the only friends who have asked our girls for sleepovers are ones I would never want my kids to even play at for extended periods of time, so it's so nice to be able to say that we have a family rule.

It's so hard to be a mom and be consistent and have your answer be "because I said so" -- but I agree that someday they'll understand. Good luck!!